Masterclass with Onora O'Neill: Judgement and Interpretation
The Holberg Prize has invited five Nordic PhD students to participate in a Masterclass discussion with Onora O'Neill on "Judgement and Interpretation".
Some of Onora O'Neill's writing on Judgement of Interpretation is available here: Interpretation within the limits of reason, Normativity and practical judgement 07/04/17, Practical principles and practical judgement in Bioethics 17/08/15
The PhD panelists are:
- Maxim Usynin, Law, University of Copenhagen
- Markus Mikael Kortesmäki, Philosophy, Åbo University
- Torhild Elin Nordtveit, Law, University of Bergen
- Oscar Wandery, Management, Stockholm University
- Zohreh Khoban, Political Science, Uppsala University
Selected Background Reading:
- Immanuel Kant. 2000. Critique of the Power of Judgement. Edited by Paul Guyer, translated by Paul Guyer and Eric Mathews. Cambridge University Press. (Look for comments on determining and reflecting (alternative translations: determinant, reflective)
- Hans-Georg Gadamer. 2004. Truth and Method. Translated by Joel Weinsheimer and Donald G. Marshall. Bloomsbury Publishing.
- Ronald Beiner. 2009. Political Judgment. Routledge.
- Ludwig Wittgenstein. 2009. Philosophical Investigations. Edited by P.M.S. Hacker and Joachim Schulte, translated by G.E.M. Anscombe, P.M.S Hacker and Joachim Schulte. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Paul Ricoeur. 1986. The Symbolism of Evil. Translated by Emerson Buchanan. Beacon Press.
- To be distributed: Onora O’Neill. 2016. Kant on Indeterminacy, Judgement and Interpretation (de Gruyter’s Lecture 2016, unpublished)