The Holberg Prize was established by the Norwegian Parliament in 2003 and is awarded annually to a scholar who has made outstanding contributions to research in the arts and humanities, social sciences, law or theology. The prize may be awarded both for work within a particular academic discipline and for work of a cross disciplinary nature. The prize winner must have had a decisive influence on international research.
The Prize amount is NOK 6 000,000 (approximately EUR 760,000 / USD 617,000). The Holberg Prize 2020 nomination form is now open. The nomination deadline is 15 June, 2019. Please read through the requirements listed below and the nomination form guide before filling out the form.
Scholars holding positions at universities, academies and other research institutions, are entitled to nominate candidates to the Holberg Prize. Please note that all text and attachments must be written in English. In the nomination form we ask that you provide the following:
- A nomination statement of 1000-3000 characters (incl. spaces) justifying why the candidate should receive the Holberg Prize.
- The candidate’s CV and publication list.
- Names of three possible referees who know the candidate´s work and who can provide additional information if needed.
Please also note the following restrictions:
- It is not possible to nominate groups or organizations.
- Self-nominations and post-humous nominations are not accepted.
- Nominations of established scholars below the age of seventy are particularly encouraged.
- Joint nominations do not strengthen a candidacy.
- Nominations are strictly confidential and should not be disclosed to the nominee or to others at any time.
The Holberg Board awards the Prize at the recommendation of the Holberg Committee, which consists of internastionally renowned scholars in the relevant research fields. The next Holberg Prize Laureate will be announced in March 2019 and the award ceremony takes place in Bergen, Norway, in the first week of June 2019.
If you have any questions or should experience technical difficulties with the nomination form, please contact email@example.com, or by phone: +47 55 58 90 38