Nominations for the Nils Klim Prize
The Nils Klim Prize is awarded annually to a young Nordic scholar under the age of 35, for outstanding contributions to research in the humanities, social sciences, law or theology. The deadline for nominations is the 15 June each year.
The Nils Klim Prize was established by the Norwegian Parliament in 2003 and is awarded annually to a young Nordic scholar who has made an outstanding contribution to research in the humanities, social sciences, law or theology, either in a spesific dicipline or through interdisciplinary work. The scholar’s ability to be original and innovative is highly emphasised. It is also considered whether the research contribution in question appears as particularly outstanding or promising in light of the researcher´s age, the nature of the research project and the research tradition of the academic field in question.
The Nils Klim Prize is worth NOK 500,000 (approximately EUR 50 000). The deadline for nominations is 15 June each year. Please read the Nomination requirements below before filling out the form.
Scholars holding positions at universities, academies or other research institutions may nominate candidates for the Nils Klim Prize. We ask that nominators use the online nomination form. In the form you will be asked to provide the following:
- A nomination letter of 1000-3000 characters (incl. spaces) stating why the candidate should receive the Prize.
- A copy of the candidate's CV and publication list.
- We also ask that you upload a copy of the candidate's doctoral thesis, along with other examples of his/her academic work, such as articles, book excerpts or book reviews.
- Please note that only documents written in either English or a Nordic language will be part of the candidate evaluation.
Please also note the following restrictions:
- Candidates must be under the age of 35 on the closing date for nominations. Time spent on parental leave and sick leave can be deducted. Please note that the nominator is not required to provide documentation regarding the personal life, health or other sensitive information about the candidates. In cases of doubt the secretariat will be responsible for obtaining the necessary information.
- It is required that the candidate is a Nordic citizen.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Nominations are strictly confidential and should not be disclosed to the nominee or to others at any time.
The nomination form
The nomination form for the 2021 Nils Klim Prize is now open. It will be accessible from this webpage until the nomination deadline, 15 June, 2020.
The Prize is awarded by the Holberg Board at the recommendation of the Nils Klim Committee, which consists of renowned Nordic scholars in the relevant research fields. The prize winner will be announced in March 2021, and the award ceremony will take place in Bergen, Norway during the Holberg Week, early June the same year.
If you have any questions or experience technical difficulties with the nomination form, please contact email@example.com